Are you allowing Tomcat's CoyoteConnector on port 8009 (or whatever port you
put the JK listener on) to accept all of the requests you are throwing at
it?  You have to pay attention to things like acceptCount, maxProcessors,
etc.  They need to be as high as or higher as the number of
threads/processes that Apache can accept.

A default install is a default install...if you're going to beat on it, you
have to make sure you're setting it up to have a fighting chance.

John