Is there a way to pass something other than a string to a custom tag through the attributes?

I have a class I've written and I'd love to find a way to pass it to a custom tag for processing. This would separate the display logic from the business logic.

<jsp:useBean id="user" class="UserBean" />

<ptcbe:mainpagetable src="<%= user.getBudgetList() %>" />

Right now, the way I have it is to store the display logic in a getter method of UserBean, but that doesn't seem right:

<jsp:getProperty name="user" property="budgetList" />

Note that the budgetList property is an object, not a primitive.

What do you think?

Erik

PS: passing it through the session seems kind of awkward.