Hi all.  I have a couple of issues I'd like to see if I could get some help
with.

1) Tomcat restarting issue - I'm running Tomcat 4.0.4 on RedHat Linux 7.3.
I was wondering why I'm allowed to start Tomcat multiple times.  If I do a
"tomcat start" followed by the same line again, Tomcat seems to start both
times.  I remember on an older version of Tomcat I used on my last job that
if I tried to start Tomcat again right after starting it the first time, I
would get error messages basically stating that Tomcat was already running.
I don't now.  I get the starting messages just like it was starting a second
time.  Is this normal?

2) Servlet causing me to have to restart Tomcat - On the same version of
Tomcat I have another issue.  I'm developing a servlet that, as the code
grows, causes me to have to start Tomcat after I compile my servlet each
time.  But subsequent reloads of the same servlet work; I only have to
restart after a recompile.  I'm getting the following error message on the
failed load of the servlet after a recompile (before the restart):

2003-01-31 08:25:13 Ajp13Processor[8009][1] process: invoke
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
 at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
 at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
 at org.apache.ajp.Ajp13.send(Ajp13.java:525)
 at org.apache.ajp.RequestHandler.finish(RequestHandler.java:501)
 at org.apache.ajp.Ajp13.finish(Ajp13.java:395)
 at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Response.finishResponse(Ajp13Response.java:196)
 at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:464)
 at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:551)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Any ideas?  This issue is becoming quite a problem in that I'm constantly
restarting Tomcat after every compile of my servlet (the servlet is
currently under development).

Thanks for any help,
Kenny