I am porting an application from tomcat 3.2.3 to tomcat 4.1.12 and am having
a problem with jsp:inlcude.

I have a directory structure like this

webapps/common/<common jsps>
webapps/admin/<specific jsps>

The <common jsps> directory contains a menu that I use in all of the
specific jsp pages.  This menu is
just a table that does a bit of data processing to determine what menu items
a specific user should see.

Anyway, in version 3.2.3 the code to include the menu looks like this:

<jsp:include page="../common/navbar.jsp" flush="true">

but in 4.1.12 this does not work.  If, however, I change it to

<%@ include file="../common/navbar.jsp"%>

it works fine.

To further complicate things, if I place the navbar.jsp in the same
directory as the specific jsps and add this code

<jsp:include page="navbar.jsp" flush="true">

it also works fine.

Anyone have any thoughts on why?

C.