On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 18:30, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2003, Peter Kelley wrote:
>
> > Date: 10 Feb 2003 17:22:53 +1100
> > From: Peter Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: Valve Access to Principal
> >
> > OK I'm still not sure we are talking on the same page so please bear
> > with me whilst I attempt to restate what is happening.
> >
> > Tomcat 4.1.18 running in JDK 1.4
> > JBoss 3.0.3 running in JDK 1.3
> >
> > Tomcat is running standalone in a seperate JVM to JBoss.
> > Both Tomcat and JBoss are running on the same machine (although this
> > configuration means that they could be running on seperate machines).
> >
> > Tomcat is running the JAAS login module and running a web application
> > that is making standard RMI calls to EJB's that are running on the JBoss
> > server.
> >

> You seem to be assuming that Tomcat knows how to propogate the security
> identity.  It does not -- standalone Tomcat doesn't store Subjects or
> Principals on a per-thread basis at all (it only caches them in the
> session if there is one), and doesn't support propogation of security
> identity across JVMs under any circumstances.  Any such features in the
> JBoss+Tomcat integration were implemented by JBoss folks, so you need to
> ask them for help in understanding what is going wrong in your scenario.
>
> Craig

I've written a valve to do this and the code should be standard JAAS,
not specific to JBoss. There is a class already in the Tomcat 5 source
that provides utilities to do something similar. If I get this working
I'll let you know, it's something that Tomcat will probably need to do
to talk JAAS to application servers.

If this were JBoss specific I would agree with you but what I want to do
should be following the JAAS standard.

--
Peter Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Moveit Pty Ltd