We have a web-application that runs under Tomcat 4.0.3 on a Debian system
with JRE 1.4.1. Our application has worked fine for a couple of months but
after a recent upgrade of the webapp we have had several crashes of the
application. We are unable to find the cause of the crashes but this is what
we can figure out from the log-files:
The application runs without problems for some time but then suddenly it
starts giving 404 (Not found) responses, it does this for a while (less than
a minute) and then gives 500 responses (Server error). A couple of minutes
later we find the following error in the catalina_log:
2003-02-12 18:53:07 HttpConnector[8180] accept:
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:353)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:439)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:410)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.run(HttpConnector.java:993)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

It seems that there are too many open filehandles but it's unclear whether
this is the cause or a consequense of the crash. Has anyone ever had this
problem before?

Thanks,
Gert-Jan