Hi,

I am extremely confused with setting up SSL to work with my GUI application.

So when attempting to connect to the server using a https connection I obtain the
error in the window where tomcat is running:

      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
[ERROR] PoolTcpEndpoint - -Handshake failed <javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Re
d fatal alert: certificate_unknown>
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint
:512)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Th
ool.java:533)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
[ERROR] ThreadPool - -Caught exception executing org.apache.tomcat.util.net
orkerThread@4e669e, terminating thread <java.lang.NullPointerException>

and in the submission application window I obtain the error:

IOException has occurredjavax.net.ssl.SSLException: untrusted server cert chain.

I have followed all the rules on the html page:
http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/install.html

and ALL the instuctions on the tomcat page:

http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/ssl-howto.html.

This is the modified server.xml bit:
<!-- Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443, uncommented by Anish Mehta
23/12/2002 -->

               enableLookups="false"
        acceptCount="10" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
               useURIValidationHack="false">

      <Factory className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
               clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS" />

    </Connector>

I have also performed this action:
%JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

I am totally confused in what to do, as I have attempted everything. Please can
someone help me as I require this function for my final year project!!!! I will be
eternally grateful.

Thanks.

Anish