Jake,

Thanks for your reply.

You're absolutely right that Tomcat can do the auth instead of Apache (which
I've done before;  support for it in Tomcat is really great).

However, I really need to do it in Apache instead, unfortunately.  We're
looking at implementing SunOne's Single Sign On solution (Identity Server),
and it works via a plug-in to the web server -- Tomcat isn't an option.

Any way to access a REMOTE_USER variable set in Apache from Tomcat?

Thanks again for your time, and anyone else who can weigh in,

Tim