Hi Thomas,
                    I am also having a similiar problem in our system. I am
using HTTPClient jar as http client.Our product is running on tomcat
3.2.3+Apache1.3. (Windows NT)

1)Pls look at the following code.

                        HTTPConnection httpcon = new HTTPConnection(url);

httpcon.addBasicAuthorization("es","username","password");

even though the above code exists for Basic Authorization, it is still
popping up
java dialog box asking username and passoword.

Why the console popping up?..

2)    here i set userinteraction to false and commented the authorization
code, now it is not popping up the java console.But the system running
properly and gets the required data without asking username and password.

                   HTTPConnection httpcon = new HTTPConnection(url);
                   httpcon.setAllowUserInteraction(false);

//httpcon.addBasicAuthorization("es","username","password");

How is it possible?..Is there security hole with the site?...

NOTE:
         I should enter username and password when i tried to access the
site thro browser.Otherwise it is throwing error.

Any help would be appreciated...

thanks,
Ramkumar