Zachary Kuhn wrote:
I just installed the 4.1.8 release of Tomcat via the linux binary RPM.
However, when I go to /var/tomcat4/bin
i have no startup scripts, only a couple jar files. The docs say the
startup files should be there. Is there something
I am missing?

The bin/ scripts are only found in the binary release. With the .rpm, you launch the server using something like /usr/bin/tomcat4.

I wrestled with the rpm for about a week, and then took the advice of everybody who responded to me and switched to the binaries. The documentation is now much more relevant for me, and I have no complaints about installation. I understand the convenience factor, but I would highly recommend using the binaries over the .rpm version, which is weird, undocumented, and prone to problems that the people on this list can't help you with.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com