On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, William Claxton wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:09:09 +0800
> From: William Claxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: need 2 appbase settings
>
> We have successfully moved our appbase to a folder other than Tomcat's
> default.  However, this means we can no longer see the manual pages or the
> Tomcat servlet examples.
>
> I believe the correct approach would be to create 2 host entries in
> 'server.xml', one with the default appbase (where we'd find the Tomcat
> manual and examples), and one for the modified appbase (where we'd find our
> own applications).  There may also need to be modifications to the Apache
> configuration, to enable virtual hosting.

That technique would work.

So would putting an explicit <Context> element inside the standard <Host>
element, with a docBase attribute pointing back to where the files really
are (remember, both docBase and appBase can be absolute or relative
paths).

An even simpler approach, of course, would be to just copy or move the
"tomcat-docs" into your new "appBase" location -- then, the automatic
recognition will find them again.

> Has anyone done this?  If so, can you provide snippets from your
> 'server.xml' and perhaps 'httpd.conf' to show us how it's done?

Craig