Even for development server I don't like automagic reloads. (YMMV). I prefer to use the manager app to reload my webapp. I like the control and predictability.

If you are building your app via ant - there are a couple ways to automatically have ant reload your webapp. Such as using ant call, wget, and there are ant tasks with 4.1.X.

-Tim

Warden, Matt wrote:
On Feb 23, Tim Funk had something to say about Re: Bouncing Tomcat (for new...

You probably had tomcat configured in the past to look for these changes in .class files and automatically restart the web application. For some reason - its now turned off. (I don't like that feature anyways).

Even for a development server?

If your change is only a class change in a webapp - all you have to do is restart the webapp.

Excellent. This is a great tip.