A #2: I don't feel the connectors are complex.  JK is easy to configure,
easy to get working (once you understand how it works), and stable.  If you
don't want to use a connector, don't even deal with mod_rewrite or
mod_proxy, just run Tomcat on port 80 and be done with it.  Or better yet,
run it on 8080 and use iptables/ipchains to redirect 80 to 8080.

John