Howdy,

>I tried to do a simple upgrade from 4.0.4 to 4.1.18.  I simply copied
the
>file structures of 4.1.18 over the top of those for 4.0.4.  I presume
this
>should do it but in fact I now get a message that Tomcat can't find the
>compiler.  It is suggesting that perhaps my JAVA_HOME variable isn't
set.
>But .. it is!  And besides I didn't touch my sys variables.
>
>Any thoughts?  JDK1.4.1 isn't required here is it?

Don't copy over.  That's not a proper upgrade at all.  Do a clean
installation each time: extract the distribution into a different
directory than the existing tomcat installation.  You will have a ton of
problems if you do the above, some of which will be exceedingly
difficult to debug (ala VerifyError type messages)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.