From: Jeremy Whitlock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 3, 2003 1:17 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Tomcat as Linux Service

Mike,
        What I'm looking for is similar to the way you can start Apache.
In the Service Tool in Red Hat, it lists all available services where
you can start/stop/restart from there or you can "/sbin/service
servicename start".  Here is the script for Apache:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Startup script for the Apache Web Server
#
# chkconfig: - 85 15
# HTML files and CGI.
# processname: httpd
# pidfile: /var/run/httpd.pid
# config: /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/httpd ]; then
. /etc/sysconfig/httpd
fi

# This will prevent initlog from swallowing up a pass-phrase prompt if
# mod_ssl needs a pass-phrase from the user.
INITLOG_ARGS=""

# Path to the apachectl script, server binary, and short-form for
messages.
apachectl=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl
httpd=/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd
prog=httpd
RETVAL=0

# check for 1.3 configuration
check13 () {
CONFFILE=/usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf
GONE="(ServerType|BindAddress|Port|AddModule|ClearModuleList|"
GONE="${GONE}AgentLog|RefererLog|RefererIgnore|FancyIndexing|"
GONE="${GONE}AccessConfig|ResourceConfig)"
if grep -Eiq "^[[:space:]]*($GONE)" $CONFFILE; then
echo
echo 1>&2 " Apache 1.3 configuration directives found"
echo 1>&2 " please read
/usr/local/apache2/doc/httpd-2.0.40/migration.html"
failure "Apache 1.3 config directives test"
echo
exit 1
fi
}

# The semantics of these two functions differ from the way apachectl
does
# things -- attempting to start while running is a failure, and shutdown
# when not running is also a failure. So we just do it the way init
scripts
# are expected to behave here.
start() {
echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
check13 || exit 1
daemon $httpd $OPTIONS
RETVAL=$?
echo
[ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/httpd
return $RETVAL
}
stop() {
echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
killproc $httpd
RETVAL=$?
echo
[ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/httpd /var/run/httpd.pid
}
reload() {
echo -n $"Reloading $prog: "
check13 || exit 1
killproc $httpd -HUP
RETVAL=$?
echo
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
status)
status $httpd
RETVAL=$?
;;
restart)
stop
start
;;
condrestart)
if [ -f /var/run/httpd.pid ] ; then
stop
start
fi
;;
reload)
reload
;;
graceful|help|configtest|fullstatus)
$apachectl $@
RETVAL=$?
;;
*)
echo $"Usage: $prog
{start|stop|restart|condrestart|reload|status|fullstatus|graceful|help|c
onfigtest}"
exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

Make sense what I want to do?  Thanks, Jeremy