Yip:

As far as I understand it: using proxy pass, even though your request
will be forwarded to tomcat, it is still seen as 2 separate
applications: You will then have an Apache session and a Tomcat session,
and never the twain shall meet ...

You need to configure your web application so that is seen as only one
application, and the easiest to do this is to use something like mod_jk.