"Shapira, Yoav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Howdy,

>>I would like to set up Tomcat to use the JDK 1.4 Logging API for
logging

>>- all Log-Messages from Tomcat
>>- all Log-Messages originating from within my Webapplikation.

>Those are two different goals.

>Do you really want to tie your logging into how tomcat logs things?
>Typically, those are left separate.  In general, you also want your
application to be as portable and therefore container-independent as
possible.

>For the tomcat part: see the Logger configuration reference for more
details:
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/logger.html

>Also note that tomcat 4.1.x makes jakarta commons logging available to
webapps by placing the API in the common/lib directory.  So if you write
your code to use commons-logging, and JDK 1.4 is available in the
classpath, you will automatically get JDK 1.4 logging.

>Personally, I like log4j much better than JDK 1.4 logging, and don't
find much value to commons-logging either, so I just use log4j and have
been very happy with it.  Searching the list archives of this and the
log4j-user list will show you many comparison and discussion threads on
log4j vs. JDK 1.4 logging with and without commons-logging in the
middle.

+1.  I like log4j as well.  About the only reason to use commons-logging is
that Tomcat is using it (increasingly).  If you want to consolidate your
logging with Tomcat's logging, then you will have to go c-l (or at least
fancy configs :).  Otherwise, turn to log4j and don't look back.  JDK1.4
logging is just c-l with some pretty sugar cones.  It's not a real logging
system.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

sender.  Thank you.