Yoav or whomever...,

    If I may intrude on this thread...   I did read the HowTo  at

 http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html

..and it's primary focus is on the nature of the commands sent to the manager.  There is no reference as to the HTML GUI that is used by most new users and general administrators.   In that interface there is no indication as to the exact syntax needed to "install".  The HowTo should provide a good and specific examples. This would avoid a lot of confusion (maybe questions here).  I personally spend nearly an hour testing different inputs to the "install" fields with no luck

  There are three fields
    Path, Config URL, and WAR URL

  ...of those only Path and WAR URL seem to have any reference in the HowTo..  I can find nothing on this "Config URL" and what that might mean nor does this term exist, so how is one to guess what this field requires..???  Ignoring that field and taking a hint from the HowTo I input various "paths" and "WAR URL"s that I thought should work..  Using

http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=/bar&war=jar:file:/path/to/bar.war!/

as a reference point and assuming I have a WAR file named "DurlingSite.war" sitting in the webapps directory,  I entered the following:

In the Path field:
      /DurlingSite
In the WAR URL field:
      jar:file:/usr/local/tomcat4/webapps/DurlingSite.war!/

This did not work..  I then tried various variations check my spelling, typos..etc.... no joy..

So... given that I have a WAR file "DurlingSite.war" siting in the directory /usr/local/tomcat4/webapps. How would you input the required "install" fields in the Manager HTML interface. (and have it work..<G>)

   Thanks...

    John Moore

PS. Also as a side issue.. it appears that "Remove" does ot work.. it does not remove a webapp and all of it's files as the HowTo indicates..????   Why is this...??

Shapira, Yoav wrote:
Howdy,
Apparently you didn't bother to read the manager webapp documentation I
posted in the previous reply ;(  In that URL it tells you how to deploy
a new webapp or redeploy an existing one without restarting the server.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics