On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, NormW wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:56:23 +1100
> From: NormW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: User Interface To Tomcat User List
>
> Good morning Eric.
> I wasn't 'pushing' for a change as I will go back to just viewing the
> Archives until I need to pose another question; that's why I mentioned that
> I'm only new to TC and not even close to being able to help with 99% of what
> comes in my Inbox.
> That's what I liked with the Newsgroup format... I can browse them online,
> and, in the event I can offer some assistance, it's easy to do so...and
> don't have to wade through (66 this morning) a lot of messages I cannot do
> anyhing for.
> While pulling down particular threads is feasible, my knowledge isn't that
> 'compartmentalised'; I might know 4 facts on advanced config and 100 on
> where to find docs; AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows 2K, etc I can provide a cup
> of coffee for.
> I gather the mailing lists have been going for a number of years so
> something must be working; I was just thinking it might have been easier.
> Thanks for the feedback though.
> Norm

Any reasonable mail reader that supports sorting by thread, plus a simple
filter rule to copy messages for each mailing list into their own folder,
can give you exactly the same user experience as newsgroups.  (Try Mozilla
1.3, for just one example).  Plus, I can select offline mode and download
all the messages, so I can browse them on my laptop offline, reply to them
with "send later", and sync up when I reconnect to the net.  And none of
this requires disrupting the lives of 2500 other TOMCAT-USER subscribers
already using the mailing list.

A newsgroup-only solution would disenfranchise all users who are behind
corporate firewalls that block NNTP.  That's totally unreasonable for a
resource like TOMCAT-USER.  As others have pointed out, there are
unofficial mirrors for TOMCAT-USER that let you access the list's content
via NNTP if you want -- but with someone else taking the administrative
hassles for managing that.

If you want *me* to answer questions, you can also assume that any eforum
type interface is also a non-starter :-).  I want mail to come to me, so
that I can peruse it when *I* have a few minutes; not have to go to it.

Craig