So I set <error-page> in the /conf/web.xml for the whole server.

<error-page>
  <error-code>401</error-code>
  <location>/pub/error/401.html</location>
</error-page>
<error-page>
  <error-code>403</error-code>
  <location>/pub/error/403.html</location>
 </error-page>
<error-page>
  <error-code>404</error-code>
  <location>/pub/error/404.html</location>
</error-page>
<error-page>
  <error-code>500</error-code>
  <location>/pub/error/500.html</location>
</error-page>

However, this only works for contexts at the root of a site on the server
where this path is rooted (or if you duplicate these path patterns into
EVERY web-app).  The webapps still try to use this path, but the beginning
"/" is set at the root of the webapp, not the site.

Any way to have these settings REALLY be global?  I'm not looking forward to
sym-linking a bunch of files/paths.  I have 4 sites each with 2 webapps
running on the server with more apps to join in later....

I seem to remember a setting to tell webapps to set their doc root at the
site root and not relative to each app but haven't found that again (unless
I'm remembering incorrectly)

Any ideas?

Colin