Hi,

I recently moved one of our servers to RH 8.0. In the same
step I also tried to move the affected application to Tomcat
4.1.18, working together with Apache 2.0.40 by using mod_jk 1.2.2.
Everything went fine except that after about a day, Tomcat seems to
have problems. The effects were:

- OutOfMemory Exceptions
- No more responds from Tomcat
- Error 500's

The effects changed as I was trying different versions of Apache
JDK and JK versions etc., but it seems to me that these results are
caused by always the same problem: The connections between Apache
and Tomcat seem to be created once, not used again and not destroyed anymore
resulting in a huge amount of hanging threads, filling up memory
etc. It usually took about a day until the problem occurred, but
of course, this depends on the number of requests, amount of memory
and the application itself.

Currently, I'm trying JDK 1.3.1_07. Will see if it fixes the problem.
Someone mentioned that before in this mailinglist.

Typical log outputs of JkCoyoteHandler:

.
.
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -Server has been restarted or reset this connection
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -connection timeout reached
.
.

and corresponding to that by mod_jk:

.
.
[Fri Mar 21 01:13:47 2003]  [jk_ajp_common.c (1050)]: Error reading reply
from tomcat. Tomcat is down or network problems.
[Fri Mar 21 01:13:47 2003]  [jk_ajp_common.c (1187)]: ERROR: Receiving from
tomcat failed, recoverable operation. err=0
[Fri Mar 21 01:13:50 2003]  [jk_ajp_common.c (681)]: ERROR: can't receive
the response message from tomcat, network problems or tomcat is down.
.
.

Regards,
Daniel