Following the docs for the deployment process I created a simple HelloWorld
servlet.

I cannot be certain, but I believe, proir to running ant install, I manually
copied the servlet directory to TOMCAT/webapps/HelloWorld.  After running ant
install the servlet ran perfectly.

However, modifting the development copy of the srevlet and rerunning ant
install produced no effect.

I deleted the TOMCAT/webapps/HelloWorld directory and ran "ant remove clean all
install".  All reported fine, but NO evidence of anything on TOMCAT/webapps/

I double check the server has write access and it does.  I eventually manually
copied the contents of HelloWorld/build to TOMCAT/webapps/ and renamed it
HelloWorld.  Nothing.  I reran ant install and it said, OK.  Servlet Not
Avaliable or 404 errors was all I could get.

I can not get the ant install to work at all.  It registers it with the
manager, but that is it.

To get subsequent versions even after minor edits to work, I need to...

ant compile
cp build/* -r /opt/tomcat/webapps/HelloWorld
ant install
/opt/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh
[ .. wait 20 seconds .. ]
ps ax
possibly:       /opt/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh  again

/opt/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
[ takes over a minute to restart ]

Finally the app works.

Unless I am doing something wrong, this conflicts with the documentation on the
deployment process that states all you need to do to get the app running
temporarily on the server during development is to run ant install.

Any help and advice would be very greatfully recieved.  Thanks.

--

Paul Campbell

Campbell Multimedia
Web Design | PC Sales