In fact, our app supports connections both through a proxy (IIS or Apache) *and* directly to Tomcat because response times are very important to us and the turnaround going through Apache is ~100ms while the turnaround directly to Tomcat is ~20ms. Tomcat is an excellent HTTP server. It easily supports the requirements of most projects out there. IMHO, using Tomcat as Http server should be the default and Apache should only be used if you have a specific reason to use it (of which there are many very real, very valid ones, some of which Jeffrey Peloquin, amongst others, have mentioned in this thread).

My point in writing this is that we should all be careful what we suggest before understanding what exactly the person needs. And, quite frankly, those asking should find these threads *easily* with a little effort. ;)

justin

At 03:26 PM 3/27/2003, you wrote:
What if the majority of your pages are either servlets or JSP. I have only a
couple pages that are not dynamically created, so Apache will only handle
those, right? I'm running in a pure Tomcat environment because of this...
and the fact I don't know how to set up apache with tomcat :-)

-Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Whitlock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 3:23 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Tomcat and IIS

That's possible BUT performance will suffer. Tomcat isn't as powerful as Apache. If you are running a small website, intranet and such, Tomcat would probably work fine but it's not Commercially fit as a Web Server. Apache on the other hand is. Later, J

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com
Confidential