To get Tomcat to recognize the new deploy, the previous deploy has to not
exist!  It only recognizes a new war on its "first deploy".  So you have to
delete the previous files.

Manually, in webapps, first delete the war, then the respective exploded dir
hierarchy, and finally the respective dir in the work dir hierarchy.  Then
drop in the war in webapps (it's been awhile since I did a manual deploy, so
I am pretty sure that is what it took to get it going).  The key thing is
clearing the existing one all out so Tomcat will deploy the new one - if
anything is there in that context, then it will not.

With Ant, use the Tomcat "deploy" and "undeploy" tasks.  If previously
deployed by dropping the war in webapps, then manually delete as above
before the first use of "deploy" or there will be problems.  The Tomcat Ant
tasks are by far the easiest method I have found.

The 3 app servers I have used (WebSphere, WebLogic, and Tomcat) all do it
differently, behave differently, and have different side effects (or
features ;-).