thanks for the information. The serialized files would have a mapping from file->class. This would make the deserialization simple.

Thank you for the information. This is what I had designed, but was hoping that tomcat had some way of telling the servlets to reload configuration information.

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,
It'd be very difficult for this mechanism to figure out what the object
type in your serialized files is, wouldn't it? ;)

What you can do:

- Deserialize the files on startup, into some object (let's call it
MyServletConfig).

- Write or use (they are a dime a dozen out there) a FileWatchdog, which
checks a file every x seconds to see if it has been modified.  If so, it
sends an event to your MyServletConfig or somewhere else, which re-reads
the servlet config.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics