Is there a way to have a servlet get the client certificate that was used to connect to apache?

I have tomcat 4.1.24 running as the backend to apache 2.0.44. Clients set up a mutually authenticated SSL connection to apache, and all servlet requests get forwarded to tomcat. What connector should I use in order to allow the forwarding of not only the servlet request, but also the certificate so that the servlet can identify the user?

thank you.