Okay this the relevant section of my taglib.tld file:

<tag>
    <name>header</name>
    <tagclass>tagext.HeadTag</tagclass>
    <bodycontent>JSP</bodycontent>
    <info>Simple Example</info>
    <attribute>
        <name>pageTitle</name>
        <required>true</required>
        <rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>
    </attribute>
</tag>

the use of the tag in my jsp file:
<siteTags:header pageTitle="Server Administration" />

the getter and setter code:

String pageTitle;
// getter
//public String getPageTitle()
public String getpageTitle()
{
    return pageTitle;
}

// setter
//public void setPageTitle(String pageTitle)
public void setpageTitle(String pageTitle)
{
    this.pageTitle = pageTitle;
    return;
}

The error that it produces (cropped for berevity).  If you would like the
code then I can email you it - I wouldn't want to post the entirety to the
list:

HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report
message
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request
exception
org.apache.jasper.JasperException
  at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:2
54)
  at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
  at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
          at
FilterChain.java:247)
          at
ain.java:193)