Hi, firstly, thanks for the quick response.

Let me answer you last comment first re "> Out of curiosity, why would you
expect an AIX port of tomcat from IBM
> (or anyone else)?  Tomcat is pure Java -- there's no more AIX port than>
Solaris port ;)

Here's what led me to believe I need to put down the ibm SDK port
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/java-ports.cgi
Also  this comment "AIX SDK 1.4 - A beta version of IBM's AIX port of Java 2
SDK, Standard Edition, Version 1.4.0."
on IBM's website
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/nav/Java?open&c=Java+-+Developer+Kits

Can I infer from your comment that I should just load the sdk directly from
Sun rather than the "port" and then load tomcat 4.1.24

Thanks again, Ian