>From what I've seen, for small number of requests like this, the overhead of
managing the tagpool swamps what it saves in GC.  You might want to try
disabling tag-pooling (and clear the work dir), and re-run the test on 4.1.

"Victor Popiol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Info for those interested in benchmarking Tomcat + JVM.

Original configuration:
Windows 2000.
256 MB Ram
JVM: 1.3.1
Tomcat 4.0.4 with Jasper2
Application is struts based (1.0.2)

This server was upgraded to Tomcat 4.1.24 and JDK 1.4.1

After having set up everything, I realized that the performance had drop
considerably.

For example, a request to the same page (20 threads) before the upgrade
was producing 6.5 pages/sec. After the upgrade to Tomcat 4.1.24 and JDK
1.4.1 the performance was 4.3 pages/sec.

Since I was't sure what was producing this performance degradation, I
started to experiment with JDBC, Connectors, etc, but no change. Only
when I degraded the JVM to 1.3.1, the performance went up to 8
pages/sec.

Since our next release of the application uses features from JDK 1.4.1,
I could not stay in JDK 1.3.1.

So I decided to try BEA's JRockit 8.1 which complies with Sun's JDK
1.4.1. The performance improved greatly to 14 pages/sec.

The problem now was that I could not run Tomcat as an NT service using
JRockit. The service would start, but after a few seconds, it would die
abruptly. No errors reported.

I saw one posting in this list with the same problem, but no solution.

So I decided to install the Java Service Wrapper
(http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/)

After setting it up, I was able to run Tomcat with JRockit as an NT
service.

So far it looks really promising. We will conduct some more testing
during the rest of the week and hopefully install this configuration in
our production servers next week.

Regards
Victor