Yes, its out. It's only one-third "mine", though...there were several authors, as is the custom with Wrox Press.

I'm not surprised your local store doesn't have a copy...its a fairly esoteric subject, all things considered. Probably explains the 34K+ sales ranking on Amazon, too. LOL

John

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:24:34 -0400, Phillip Qin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is your book out? I couldn't find in local bookstore.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Turner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: June 6, 2003 2:19 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: security of server.xml

Java code can be decompiled. Easily.

Rogue classes can be inserted into improperly configured packages. There's plenty more.

If your UNIX-like OS is unstable enough to allow a file owned by root with permissions of 700 be viewable to various untrusted users, you've got bigger concerns on your hands besides hiding the database connection password. Keep in mind, too, that the password is most like going to be transmitted in the clear...its trivial to have a packet sniffer retrieve it.

I hate to self-promote, but perhaps you might want to consider picking up a copy of the Apache Tomcat Security Handbook from Wrox Press, ISBN 1861008309.

John