Thank you Chong for your reply,
Perhaps I need to clarify, I have downloaded the FirebirdSQL-1.0.0 (Jaybird) driver and am following the directions in the FAQ file, with modifications to the connection url for the fact that I am on a windows system. As far as the type 4 driver that is included (that you mentioned), I do not see any info other than release notes (which seem to indicate the driver I downloaded and installed are same as the one included) the information in the release are very general in nature and not help in the way of installation and testing. The Jaybird driver is the one I wish to use due to the connection pooling feature, I am following the information in the Tomcat "jndi-datasource" howto in the Tomcat docs, although as indicated in my previous email, I am having little luck. In addition, I want to confirm that I have placed all relevant .jars in the commom/lib directory. Again thank you for your previous response - any additional assistance will be very helpful.
Thank you,
Rob

Chong Yu Meng wrote:

Hello Rob !

I'm not sure if you are aware : the Firebird database comes with 2 JDBC "flavors", a Type 4 JDBC driver (which is a separate download) and Interclient (which is really more of a JDBC mediation component). The configuration for Interclient is covered in this link : http://www.kpi.com.au/interbase/index.jsp while the configuration for the Type 4 JDBC driver is in the README file that comes with the driver download. Depending on which driver you use, the configuration is *very*

different! If you are following the MySQL examples, you should use the Type 4 driver.

Second, make sure that your JDBC driver is in your CLASSPATH and that Tomcat can "see" it. That is, either point to it explicitly in your CLASSPATH, or save the jar file into $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.

HTH

Regards,
pascal chong

Rob Casteen wrote:

Hey guys, I am hoping I could get some help with this issue. The research I have done online reveals this error with several databases although I have yet to find a actionable answer nor anything firebird spoecific. I am attempting to connect Firebird to Tomcat based on the MYSQL example in the Tomcat Docs and through the datasource setup in the administration console. I have attempted to include all relevant data to show the activity on my server, including the log, the example code, and the relevant server.xml code.

I appreciate all help that you can offer.
Rob

**************Log

java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
at

org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource
.java:529)

at

org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.ja
va:312)

at foo.DBTest.init(DBTest.java:23)
at org.apache.jsp.test_jsp._jspService(test_jsp.java:49)
at

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)

at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:204)

at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)

at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)

at

tionFilterChain.java:247)

at

erChain.java:193)

at

e.java:260)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
at

e.java:191)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:241
5)

at

:180)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

at

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherVa
lve.java:170)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)

at

:172)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
at

java:174)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)

at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
80)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
at

org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)

at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:43
2)

at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11Protocol.java:386)

at

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:53
4)

at

.java:530)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

***************Server.xml additions:
<ResourceParams name="TestDB">
<parameter>
<name>validationQuery</name>
<value></value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>maxWait</name>
<value>5000</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>maxActive</name>
<value>4</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>password</name>
<value>masterkey</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:C:\\Firebird\\DBcontain\\JAVATEST
.FDB</value>

    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>driverClassName</name>
      <value>org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>maxIdle</name>
      <value>2</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>username</name>
      <value>sysdba</value>
    </parameter>
  </ResourceParams>
</GlobalNamingResources>
**********************code
*******web-inf
  <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
  "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
  "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>
<web-app>
<description>Firebird Test App</description>
<resource-ref>
    <description>DB Connection</description>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/TestDB</res-ref-name>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resource-ref>
</web-app>
*******jsp
<head>
  <title>DB Test</title>
</head>

<%
  foo.DBTest tst = new foo.DBTest();
  tst.init();
%>

<h2>Results</h2>
  Foo <%= tst.getFoo() %><br/>
  Bar <%= tst.getBar() %>

I have included the dbtest class in the db_test\WEB-INF\classes\foo directory

Thanks, Robert Casteen

TEST ADVANTAGE, Inc. Direct Tel: [1] 480-337-3367 1525 West 10th Place Main Tel: [1] 480-337-3377 Tempe, Arizona 85281 USA Fax: [1] 480 337 3370

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: www.testadvantage.com