Still stuck... Need help on how to debug authentication.

Morgan Pyne wrote:

Hi Jacob,

Hi Morgan,

The name is Jerome :) Jacob was a guy who replied to me!

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the tomcatAuthentication="false" should only be part of the connector
definition of the server.xml if you are using the AJP13Connector.

If you are using the Coyote Connector, it should be in the jk2.properties files, e.g.
request.tomcatAuthentication="false"

However, it seems you are aware of this already.

I am using the Coyote Connector. The block for the AJP13Connector is commented out in the server.xml config file.
jk2.properties contains

request.tomcatAuthentication="false"

(and that's the only uncommented line).

The simplest way to verify that the authentication information is
indeed being passed through from Tomcat to Apache is just to
print the value of request.getRemoteUser() in your servlet.

I've tried that and the retirved RemoteUser is always null. So I guess that this proves the authentication is not working.
I've tried to add debugging and logging, but perhaps not to the right places.

I've done the following

** Added debugging to workers2.properties

> cat /etc/httpd/conf/workers2.properties
[logger]
level=DEBUG
file=${serverRoot}/logs/jk2.log
# Define the communication channel
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
tomcatId=localhost:8009
debug=10
# Map /jkstatus to the status worker
[shm]
file=${serverRoot}/logs/shm.file
size=1048576
debug=10
[uri:/examples/*]
info=JSPs Servlets Examples
debug=10

** Added debugging to server.xml

enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
useURIValidationHack="false"
protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler" />

but still the information logged doesn't seem to satisfy my debugging needs. I am not sure what to search for neither.

You previously stated that you are getting prompted for your credentials when you browse to the page, so the Apache side of
things appears to be working.

Yes. cgi scripts and other PHP pages correctly require authentication.

It sounds like you have tried the various pieces necessary to get this to work, but perhaps not all together at the same time :-) (?)

Either that, or you are hitting a bug somewhere.

I will not say I am 100 % sure I am doing the right thing, but after all I spent enough time on it that it makes me think that there is a bug somewhere...
Anybody can allocate some of his/her brain cells to try to solve this pb ?

Cheers,

Jerome