And it needs to support J2EE also.

-----Original Message-----
From: Werner van Mook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:04 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: is tomcat..... ?

On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 10:56 PM, Syed Nayyer Kamran wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I want to confirm that can we say that tomcat is an application server
> if not then what is the basic requirement being an application server.
> what should a server provide tobe an application server.

To be an application server one should have at least support for
running ejb's.
And with that, a lot of other things ( see ejb specs).
Tomcat supports only Servlets/jsp's and is a so called servlet
container.
If you use a name like web application server you could raise the
expectation
to high and people might think it is a application server which it is
not.

That's my 2ct anyway.

Werner