I think you'd need to use a valve instead of a filter. The filters are invoked after any security check is done (i believe).

As a starting reference, look at the SingleSignOn valve.

-Tim

Joël Wijngaarde [Us Media] wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a standard way of creating automatic login functionality in tomcat.

What I mean is that a user can set a tik a box saying 'Automatically Log
me in the next time I visit'. This is a common functionality on low
security sites and improves user experience a lot.

We now use the JDBC Realm for authentication of the users. Of course we
can 9implement our own security filter checking for the necessary
credentials,  but it would be great if we could use the web.xml file to
define the security constraints.

Any suggestions or references?

Regards,

Joel