The security risk are relatively minor if you have control over who can
update your webapp.  An example of a problem (if you aren't using a sandbox)
would be somebody deciding to do "ln -s /etc/passwd" within
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT (and letting the entire world know what user
accounts are on your box).

The alternative (since you are using Apache) is to place the
images/stylesheets into directories outside of the webapp, and known only to
Apache.  i.e. have a huge directory with all of your stylesheets and do
something like:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"  href="/styles/myStyle.css">
or even:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
                 href="/styles<%= request.getContextPath() %>/myStyle.css">

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]