At 08:56 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Howdy,

>Sure, it is possible that the gc could run as long as your process is
>running, but it should stop after your process completes. If tomcat
keeps
>running at 100% cpu forever, you have a problem ... something that
looks
>like an infinite loop.

I want to throw something else in here. I came across some issues with Hotspot that seemed to cause this.

The workaround to keep from CPU-pegging was adding -Xint to the startup script. [Which makes things DOG SLOW since it turns off hotspot]. See if it crashes after a couple of days or not.

I had an issue with Expresso that caused this... I had a nested loop in a JSP page, that if I called the jsp page repeatedly, the system would lock with 100% CPU utilization. [Memory was not consumed at this point]. If I removed the code to a single loop, it seemed stable.

I haven't been able to get the test case small enough to submit a bug report, but for me, I had a couple of classes I marked 'final' and a few methods marked 'synchronized' that didn't need to be, and got it more stable. I never encountered this issue on 1.4.2 beta so I figured it was something up with the hotspot for 1.4.1.

Anyway, it's just a shot!
                                                        -Mike