Howdy,
Tomcat is a java program: whatever runs the java command is what runs tomcat.
So if you create a user named tomcat with permission to run
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java, you're pretty much all set.  Make sure the user has rwx
permissions to tomcat's logs, temp, and work directories, and at least read
permissions for all the webapps.

Yoav Shapira

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>     How do I get it so that Tomcat does not run as root when I start it up on
>
> Linux? I know in Apache I create a new group and user and set it inthe
> httpd.conf file. What is the best way to have the Tomcat run as user tomcat.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

=====
Yoav Shapira