Jeff
Thanks for your feedback and idea.
I have eventually found that when you switch on NameVirtualHost then Apache
needs r-x permissions on all the folders in your tree.

I was running under /home/tomcat/tomcat3/webapps... and had mode 744 on all
directories except /home/tomcat (700 as you would expect)

Just so very odd given that
a) tomcat is accessing this area - was running under user tomcat
b) Apache without the VirtualHost turned on was able to work fine.

Dave