http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net/miscellaneous.html

You must explicitly declare and map every servlet in web.xml, or use the Invoker servlet. The invoker servlet is disabled everywhere but the examples web application for security reasons and is not recommended for production.

And no, you need a web.xml file. If you don't have one, Tomcat will use the global web.xml file which may not be appropriate for what you want to do.

John