Hello,

I am restricted in that my web hoster does not have an installed graphics environment (therefore any attempts to draw graphics offscreen in a servlet results in a null pointer from getLocalGraphicsEnvironment).  In order to bypass this problem I have attempted to replace my servlet with an applet and I call this via an APPLET HTML tag in a JSP.  It works fine except for the fact that any attempt to read a data file on the server seems instead to be interpreted as an attempt to read the file in a directory of the same name on the client, despite passing in such parameters as request.getRealPath(/) and request.getServletPath().  It also seems to use the JVM in any plug-in on the client machine rather than my preferred JVM environment on the server.

Has anyone encountered these problems and found a way around them?

Regards,
Susan Hoddinott
http://www.hexworx.com