James Lewis wrote:

- define the resource in server.xml (this is a little 'limitating' for me)

- deploy the applications in unpacked format (i.e. not from a war file:
this is quite limiting, however)

Yep, not good to stick them in server.xml.

Your <application>.xml file containing your resources should be in the
webapps/ directory along with your packed or unpacked application

You can then access your resources using:
<snip> jndiContext.lookup("java:comp/env/<resource name>");

Is this what you are doing? Are you using the correct Context
(java:comp/env)?

Yes, and this is my trouble: when the application is running I can always perform such a lookup successfully, but when I try from a ContextListener contextInitialized method it fails: the same code WILL NOT FAIL contextDestroyed !!!
I experience the same failure from the init method of a servlet
Thanks.
Federico