if you have only one machine to run it on then get oracle 9i lite. Its great
for dev & testing locally.
I'm using it with oracle jdbc drivers, tomcat 4.1.24

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Michael Nowacki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 3:36 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: What Oracle is best?

Just wondering what kind of oracle programs do I need to get Tomcat to
access an SQL database.  I have servlets already written that work on
another Sun OS machine that I still have access to.  Is there a way I can
query the OS to find out what versions of oracle are installed?  The RPM
command obviously doesn't work (since it is a Sun OS), and I don't have
root permissions of course.
    If I can't query the Sun OS what versions of Oracle do you recommend.
I tried browsing the oracle homepage and google searches but that just
made me more confused from the vast number of choices.  Also do I need
sqlplus or JDBC if I have j2sdk, tomcat, and MySQL?

This is whats already installed:
tomcat4-webapps-4.1.24-full.2jpp
tomcat4-4.1.24-full.2jpp
tomcat4-admin-webapps-4.1.24-full.2jpp
j2re1.4.1_02
j2sdkee1.4
j2sdk1.4.1_02
redhat 8
standard MySQL that comes with Redhat 8 Linux

Sample Servlet code that works on another computer
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.sql.*;
public class MultiServlet extends HttpServlet {
  /**
   * Initialize global variables
   */
    super.init(config);
  }
  /**
   * Process the HTTP Post request
   */
  public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)
        throws ServletException, IOException {

    String category = request.getParameter("category");

    response.setContentType("text/html");
    PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter (response.getOutputStream());
    out.println("<html>");
    out.println("<body><table border=1 cellpadding = 5 cellspacing = 0>");

    try
    {
System.out.println ("\n before registering driver \n");
      DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
System.out.println (" before GET Connection  \n");
      Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection
("jdbc:oracle:thin:@dbserv.uits.indiana.edu:1521:OED1","s3jm013","s3jm013");
System.out.println (" before STatement  \n");