OK, good luck. My point was that you had to rename the ROOT folder because your websites are in CATALINA_HOME/webapps. Move the Host's appBase outside of CATALINA_HOME, and you won't have to rename the ROOT folder, because there won't be any ROOT folder to rename. And Tomcat will be happy because it will still have its ROOT folder in CATALINA_HOME/webapps when it needs it.

Let us know if you have any more problems.

John