From: Jon Eaves [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 3:52 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: problems with web.xml and security

You need 2 web.xml files.

In / (or ROOT) for the context that maps to

http://my.domain.com/

and in the web application defined by the context /secure
which may be in the subdirectory webapps/secure, or it
may be webapps/secure.war, or it may be webapps/somethingelse
and have  <Context> element in conf/server.xml point to the
appropriate web application.

This will map to http://my.domain.com/secure

Remember, we're talking about web applications, and *not*
directories.

So, in the web application that you have defined to be
the context /secure, put the security constraint of /*

That will apply to all file *in that context*.  Different
contexts have different web.xml files.  Directories are only
relevant _within_ a web application.

Cheers,
        -- jon

Rosaria Silipo wrote:

> Sorry, my mistake!
> It worked because in the meantime I removed /secure.
> If I rebuild /secure, I can still access it without being
authenticated.

--
Jon Eaves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.eaves.org/jon