Thanks for the pointer to cronolog.  We do use log4j - the log messages in
question appear to be coming from the apache product itself.  On further
inspection it appears that we need to increase plim_fd_cur and plim_fd_max
on our Solaris server as we are receiving the wonderful "Too many open
files" exception.  Once again thanks for the pointer to cronolog.

                                  Cheers,
                                  James