>From the DTD:
The optional contents of these element must be an integer
indicating the order in which the servlet should be loaded.
If the value is a negative integer, or the element is not
present, the container is free to load the servlet whenever
it chooses.

So, Tomcat developers.. what does Tomcat do with an empty tag ?

 Try :
<load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>