Ok, I'll give a little more detail.

Q1 - I'm looking for pointers to examples or documents. I see where the spec requires that capability, but I don't know the correct way to exercise it. Does it just mean that I wrap every <form action=""> url and every reponse.sendRedirect() with encodeUrl()?

Q2 - If you got to http://mycompany.com/index.jsp, you see "Welcome Guest". As a very simple example, I want http://mycompany.com/johnsmith to become something like http://mycompany.com/portal.jsp?username=johnsmith. Then when John Smith uses his special URL, he'll see "Welcome John Smith". I can do everything but the automagic URL mapping. It would be good enough just for the URL to be rewritten to the second one above, but the ultimate would be for the URL to remain in the simple form first listed.

I hope this clarifies my questions.

Thanks for the quick response.

MT

Shapira, Yoav wrote:
Howdy,

Q1: Can Tomcat 4.X do session management if the user's browser is
rejecting cookies?  If so, how do I do that?  Do I change my code, or
just server/app configuration?

Yes, via URL rewriting, per the Servlet Specification.

Q2: If I want to allow my user, John Smith, to use
http://mycompany.com/johnsmith to access his custom view of my site,

how

would I do that?

You need to precisely define "access" and "custom view" in the above
question.  The solution depends on your specific app.

Neither my Apache Jakarta-Tomcat book nor the Valve
HowTo get into much detail.  I'm thinking I want that URL to convert to
something like http://mycompany.com/portal?u=johnsmith.  Suggestions,
examples, outright solutions? :)

A filter that does redirection based on request.getUserPrincipal() is
one option.

Yoav Shapira

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.