If you have no experience with Java and none of your acquaintances do either,
I would strongly suggest getting a book doing some reading before start.
"Tomcat Kickstart" by Sam's publishing is a great one to start with.
I also recommend "Core Servlets and Java Server Pages"
You can download this one for free here: http://www.coreservlets.com
Also, read the documentation on the Tomcat site.

If you don't understand how to set environment variables, you should either
get a book on Java or goto java.sun.com and look for the "First Cup Of Java
Tutorial".  It covers environment variables on several flavors of windows.

If you plan on using lists for help in the future, I strongly suggest reading
ALL of this first: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
You'll find that once you do, getting answers here will be a lot easier.

Good-Luck
-Ben