Assuming I understand your problem:

You may want to try populating a session object from the database and then update that session object when the user changes his role info. Then use the session object to make decisions, rather than need to re-read the database each time.

Michael Mattox wrote:
My website uses a subscription based service, and we're using WorldPay
(similar to PayPal I believe) to handle the credit card billing.  I've
defined roles for each of the subscription levels:

trial
trial_expired
bronze
silver
gold

The problem is when a trial user registers, they become bronze/silver/gold
but until they logout and log back in, Tomcat thinks they're in the old
role.  Is it possible to make Tomcat reread the user's role from the
database?  If not, is there a way to log the user out so they'll have to log
back in again?  I'm curious how others are handling this, it seems like it'd
be a common problem.

Thanks,
Michael