Have a look at RUNNING.txt in the tomcat 4 distribution:

  (4) Advanced Configuration - Multiple Tomcat 4 Instances

(The exact text and number may vary in your distribution,
 my RUNNING.txt is quite old)

The following is for unix and tomcat standalone. But it
should be a good starting point for other environments.

We install different versions of jdk/tomcat like this:

/usr/local/java/jdk/ibm1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.4

/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.1.10

For each site we have something like this:

/www/online/<site>
  /log
    directory for the log file
  /conf
    web.xml
    server.xml
      and other files that contain the site specific setup for tomcat
      (tailored versions of the files that are provided by
       tomcat)
      make shure that the combination of IP and port are unique for
      each instance of tomcat.
  /work
    Directory where tomcat stores the genared files and classes
  /webapps
     Directories for the contexts
  /bin
    start.sh
      Script that calls the tomcat version that we want to use
      for this site with the environment for this site:

      JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
      CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
      CATALINA_BASE=/www/online/<site>

      export JAVA_HOME CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_BASE
      ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/startup.sh

This way we can have different versions of tomcat at the same time,
all sites that use the same tomcat version use the same 'executable'
but different processes and individual configuration. If we want to
use another version of tomcat we just have to change CATALINA_HOME
in start.sh (unless the config files are incompatible between these
versions)